ShareThis

March 15, 2011

Does Facebook Boost or Cost Results?

Some studies say Facebook use reduces workers' productivity (by 1.5%). Others say, on the contrary, a little surfing on social networks can reduce stress and sharpen the mind, and banning them would cost business (up to $8 billion). Who is right? And what is your experience, good or bad?


Thanks for all your feedback to my post on whether social networks are a good or a bad thing. Now, to focus in a bit more: What about Facebook's effects on people's results?

According to a study by Nucleus Research, 77% of company employees have a Facebook account and almost two-thirds use it during business hours, on average for 15 minutes a day, which translates into 1.5% lost productivity.

Presumably.

Another statistic: In a 2008 poll, senior executives at the 1,000 largest U.S. companies said that their lunch break was now 35 minutes, down seven minutes from five years earlier. And many executives work through their lunch "hour" at least three times a week.

Nevertheless, seven out of ten companies have banned access to social networks during work hours.

But PopCap Games found (perhaps not least in its own interest) that far from reducing performance, "electronic breaks" actually boost staff efficiency and morale.

The computer games manufacture warned that by banning access to the Web, companies would contribute to productivity losses of up to $8 billion.

On the other hand, "Allowing workers more freedom at the PC can benefit morale and boost company profits," said the psychologist Dr. Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic, a contributor to the study.

"In addition to allowing their minds to switch off from their work worries, employers can foster a more trusting and enjoyable environment."

Well, maybe. Judging from this video, intra-office use of Facebook might suck up huge amounts of time with idle and useless stuff.


My five cents: I have been quite passive in terms of friending people and I go on Facebook only in finely-dosed intervals (I guess it's a matter of discipline), but the social network has allowed me to connect with thousands of people I would not have met otherwise. 
Facebook has been useful for building a community around my life mission to transform the practice of leadership.
Meanwhile, Birmingham City University in England is offering a one-year master degree in social networking, which led one blogger at Computerworld to wonder tongue-in-cheek "if the professors are required to deliver 140-character Twitter-style college lectures?"
 
What do you think? Is Facebook a boost or a bust for performance? What is your experience with social networks and their impact on performance, either your own or your people's? I look forward to reading you on http://thomaszweifel.blogspot.com/.

P.S. For a free copy of my e- book Leading Leaders: The Art and Science of Boosting Return on People (ROP), go to Leading-Leaders.

5 comments:

  1. I guess it all about how people tend to use Facebook.

    I am very sceptical towards the study by Nucleus Research. The results might be misleading, since they probably only surveyed adults who did not grow up with the Facebook technology. I say that those adults have a different use of social networks than young people and teenagers do. It would be very interesting to research worker's productivity in 10 - 15 years, when the kids of today will be the workers of tomorrow. I bet productivity will be down more than 1.5%.

    As for myself, I felt that I overused social networks for a while. So I took a "Facebook sabbatical" for the period of a month. Then I compared my produtivity before and after (I recommend RescueTime if you want to quantify your results). My results made clear to me, that FB didn't lower my productivity (I was now doing other unproductive stuff instead...) but it changed the way I was communicating with my peers. Without FB I would rather write a personal email or make a personal phone call instead of just post a request on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW: Seeing the FB screenshot used for this article I immediately noticed the (annoying) ad. Its the first ad I've seen for a long time since I am now using a AdBlocker plug-in. Those plug-ins exist for every browser and I can recommend them. This will certainly help you to block unwanted information while surfing and help you stay focused on what matters (and maybe even raise your productivity ;)).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @michael: very interesting ideas, and your experiment on yourself is impressive. your hunch is probably right, since an ohio state university study has linked facebook use to lower grades. see http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Security/Facebook-Impact-on-Student-Grades-Raises-New-Questions-for-Business-673934/
    perhaps you are implying that the totality of doing unproductive stuff stays constant...
    ---
    can you tell me exactly what (annoying) ad you saw?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Thomas: I was talking about he ad inside the picture of the FB screenshot ("Meet 30+ women").

    I have to add that my second comment doesn't totally correspond to your article. I was actually just thinking about how to be more efficient and it came to my mind, that the selection of the right information is important. Hence the "AdBlocker thought" I wanted to share.

    The Ohio State University study pretty much reflects my point of view. Let's see how this develops in the next couple of years. I guess the impact will change if social network techology evolves.


    Best,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for this information,
    i will revisit here soon.

    Facebook App Developers

    ReplyDelete