ShareThis

January 14, 2011

New Year, New Habits

A new year calls for new habits. Habits and routines have a negative connotation; but researchers have found that new habits are good for the brain, innovation, even creativity. Taking stock of your regular practices might raise your leadership game to a new level.


“Not choice, but habit rules the unreflecting herd,” said the poet William Wordsworth already in the 19th century. If leadership is about choice, about self-determination, about being in charge, then automatic habits are the opposite of leadership. Habits are for robots.

But brain researchers have discovered that when we adopt habits consciously, we create parallel synaptic paths, and even entirely new brain cells, that can jump our trains of thought onto new, innovative tracks. This in turn helps prevent Alzheimer's and keep the brain's atrophy at bay.

Routines don’t have to be dull; they can be creative, and they can boost performance. Committed to improving the quality of its customer service, Citibank Privatkunden AG in Germany sought to cut waiting time for customers calling in from 20 seconds to 8 seconds. The bank instituted a practice for each employee to take five minutes on a given day to achieve a “wow” effect by exceeding one customer’s expectations.

The researchers found that the more new things we try—the more we step outside our comfort zone—the more creative we become, both at work and in our personal lives.

Which might be useful when you start a new year. Much more useful, in fact, than sincere New Year's Resolutions (see video) that are history by mid-January (in other words, right around now).



Regular practices can be annual, quarterly, monthly, weekly, or daily. Here are some examples:

Annual:
  • On your birthday, take stock of your life accomplishment.
  • At the end of each year, look at what worked and what didn’t work during the previous year, acknowledge your accomplishments of the past year, and create your goals for the coming year. 
  • Every June, go for a medical check-up.
Monthly: 
  • Review and update your displays of your progress toward major objectives.
  • Pay your bills on the first of each month. 
  • Answer your overdue correspondence on Facebook and other networks on the 15th each month.
Weekly: 
  • Sundays, create your priorities for the coming week.
  • Mondays, declare what you will not do that week. 
  • Wednesdays, finish unfinished business and take care of administrative details.
  • Fridays, speculate about new possibilities. 
Daily:
  • Take a walk each evening.
  • Read something each day that gives you a new perspective.
I invite you to take an inventory of your own habits: Which ones have been good for you, and which ones bad? Which ones were useful for getting you to where you are today, but are obsolete now? And which ones do you want to keep for the foreseeable future?

What if, for example, you took a new, unknown way to work, the road less traveled, as it were? What if you changed a familiar work routine or sequence of activities? What if you made time for "What If" speculation about the future on Friday mornings?

What do you think? What habits can you schedule regularly to prevent them from being dropped out of your life? What regular actions will fulfill your life? What new habits have you scheduled into your life or work, and with what results? I look forward to your comments on my blog.

May 2011 bring you even closer to your dreams,


P.S. If you have not yet had a chance to download my new book Leading Leaders: The Art and Science of Boosting Return on People (ROP), feel free to do so now. The book is my New Year's gift to you. For your personal copy, go to Leading-Leaders. (Or copy and paste this link into your browser: http://www.thomaszweifel.com/Landing-Leading-Leaders.html)

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved the idea of this consistent wonderfulness in the Dale Carnegie or Ben Franklin style (though I think his autobiography was intended as humor) of keeping lists, working on constant self improvement, blah blah blah. I don't know anyone who really does this stuff and I don't think it's because I'm suboptimal but because this kind of consistency is for people who don't have very much to do. Show me someone with a 9 to 5 and I'll show you someone with a weekly schedule! The rest of us are happy enough to get our dry cleaning dropped off, vacuum under the bed on full moons, work 12 hours a day on a good day and attempt to meet that special someone who we'll be dumb enough to marry and make babies with so that the 12 hour days are looked back upon wistfully when we're waking up 4 times a night to feed babies and go bald from exhaustion and declining adrenal function. I take a walk each evening: from the subway to my apartment! I review my major tasks and goals when my Outlook calendar screams at me that I'm running 10 minutes late because some jerk decided to do something newsworthy that I'm forced to cover. Ugh. I'll be sure to revisit on a more positive day. Time to get out of the office...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this article. Here are my thoughts on it and on the comments.
    The more I enter the professional world, the more I notice the so-called routine-blindness at work... and the beauty of it is the irony of breaking this routine-blindness through new routines.
    Every time I feel stressed/overworked/bored/... at the office it helps me to step back and reflect the work I am doing. This way I break up the routine and offer myself a chance to change the way I do thing. As a matter of fact I have made a routine out of it: Every monday I take a five minute break to reflect my work routines and eventually improve them.
    My personal conclusion is, that either the habits control you or you control your habits. Thus, habits are a good starting point to improve and (fine) tune your life.


    Thomas, I would like to answer one of your questions.
    New routines I've added (or I am trying to add them) to my life:
    - Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning (this one is harder to fulfill than I thought)
    - Going to the gym twice a week
    - Set myself one goal for each month

    Best,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your comments.

    to josh: your life sounds rather brutal, although you are giving an excellent description of how a bad day can look like. i have found that precisely because my life is so full, and so full of mundane details, it is essential that i schedule practices that actually work for me and that are not just given by the circumstances and by the drift of life. for example, a habit that forwards my future is to start the day with writing and/or a top priority (and definitely not with opening my emails).

    to michael: excellent observation that "either the habits control you or you control your habits." that is precisely the intention of my post. glad to hear that you deliberately design and manage your habits.

    best, thomas

    ReplyDelete